U.C. Merced Chancellor headlines 100th Alumni Dinner
UC Merced Chancellor, Dorothy Wilson Leland, Fillmore High Class of 1966.
UC Merced Chancellor, Dorothy Wilson Leland, Fillmore High Class of 1966.

This will be our last reminder for the big day we have worked so hard on all year. Join us for the 100th Alumni dinner celebration June 15th, 2013 at the Veteran’s Memorial Building. Better hurry, we have close to 500 reservations already and the fun is just beginning. The deadline for reservations is June the 10th, 2013. You can call the Alumni office @ 805-524-0416 and we can mail you a reservation form or you can go on line to www.fillmorehighalumni.com and print a form or drop by Patterson Hardware and pick up a form.

Our guest speaker this year is Chancellor Dorothy Wilson Leland class of 1966. Chancellor Leland earned a bachelor’s degree in English, a master’s in American Studies and a doctorate in Philosophy from Purdue University which awarded her its Distinguished Alumna award. We are honored and proud to have her with us, back in Fillmore where she began her education.

Social time starts at 3:00pm with visits on the patio area and our parade of class pictures hanging in the building. Dinner will start at 6:00pm with a few words from our board and then it’s time for the delicious dinner prepared by DJ’s California Catering. After dinner we will make a presentation to our Scholarship Foundation recipients. There will be plenty to see and reminisce about throughout the evening. There are several classes having their reunion at the dinner and the fun doesn’t stop after dinner. There will more visiting in the patio area and a DJ for those who wish to dance the rest of the evening away.

Fillmore High School History
The first meeting of the newly-formed Fillmore High School District Board of Education was held June 28th, 1909. The county superintendent of schools presided at the meeting which elected George N. King, president, and Fergus L. Fairbanks, clerk with R.A. Holly, Hugh Warring and F.A. Case making up the rest of the board. The first classes of the new School were held in the basement of the Presbyterian Church while a building was being erected on land purchased by Mrs. Hattie King. This structure (located on Second Street across from the Ebell Club was erected in 1909 and used as a temporary school. Meantime, on September 11, 1909, the people of this district voted a bond issue of four thousand dollars to raise funds for purchasing the site, erecting the buildings and providing the furnishings. The board then purchased the land and chose a design for a new permanent school building. This, the first Science Building completed in 1911 on the present site, was considered one of the most beautiful in the State. Regular high school instruction commenced with twelve students on September 13, 1909, with three more enrolling the following week. It was not until 1911 that the first class was graduated with our students receiving diplomas.